Friday, September 18, 2009

Simplicity in motion

I have a vision... Correction. I had a vision. And with all great visions of mine, I had to temper it in light of time constraints and lack of expertise(sounds familiar, anyone?). Despite that, I liked tinkering with Scratch. Gobo had captured my heart the moment I laid eyes on him, and I knew I had to give the little guy a story. That's where it got all tricky. In my previous life, all I had to do was sketch storyboards or have basic concept art ready or rattle stream of consciousness to anyone who would listen (read: team members). Then, all I had to do was to hand it over to our team's artist, Henry, who would do beautific things to my stick figures and made my imagination come to life. But alas, Henry is back home working on other designs of grandeur and I'm stuck with my visions vegetating in my head.

With such a huge handicap, I had no means of translating the images in my head. With grit and determination, I set out to amuse myself with Gobo and let Gobo dictate the story for me. There was no method to my madness. I started out looking at projects. I selected the aquarium project, giggled at it, and later shook my fist at the sleekness of Daydream. Those two ultimately informed my own project on Gobo. Armed with scripts that the authors used in the other, I played around until Gobo's story emerged. And here it is. It made me laugh while creating it but I am easily amused. Enjoy my mediocre foray into digital storytelling.

Learn more about this project

5 comments:

  1. The groaning freaked out Harley. He was doing homework with me - now he is running away! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor Harley. I'll give him a pat later to apologise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't take the suspense! What will happen next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project, and your artistic sensibilities

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the aesthetics of the background and the colors of the objects that you've chosen are quite lovely...

    ReplyDelete