Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Introduction - Afterwards

The obligatory introductory post was actually listed in the 'About Me'. But in the interest of less clickages, here's a cut and paste.

Antaera, or Ant, as my friends usually call me, has my internet handle for over ten years now and is as much a part of me as the physical manifestation that some of you see around. Due to my immersion in virtual environments, I am interested in the many platforms in which individuals come together, either to collaborate or compete with each other.

As a child of sociology, I am interested in how communities form and maintain cultural norms online. This interest extends to the classroom setting, as norms are exclusionary in nature, which brings up issues of equity. Games have the potential to positively affect how students are positioned in the classroom. Instead of focusing on their socio-economic or cultural background, students have the ability to immerse themselves in roles that will help empower their sense of self and in turn, their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment